Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor--Labor?--Labor Day!

When I was a kid school always started the Tuesday after Labor Day. Labor really signalled the end of Summer and the start of Fall. Now we start back to school in the middle of Summer but this year I think the schedule worked to my advantage. I think that the first week of Fall semester is always the hardest--and then we have the Labor Day Break. I don't know why but that one day break makes all the difference. In short, Hurray for Labor Day!

This morning John and I woke up, ate breakfast, then went for a walk on the parkway with Samantah, Andrew, and Livy. Then we went down to Mom and Dad's to get dad to help us buy cabinets for our bathroom remodel. We went to lunch at Mimi's (to thank Dad for his help); then home for a nap. Not much "labor" but is work what Labor Day is all about (100's of people at Lowe's would say "yes").

According to Ask.com "Labor Day was made a national holiday in 1894 by President Grover Cleavland. After a number of deaths in 1894, workers went on strike in support of this holiday."

Things I Like About Labor Day
1. Great corn
2. home grown tomatoes
3. the Porter reunion
4. a chance to catch my breath before Fall semester begins in earnest
5. cove mountain
6. cool nights

Labor: to work hard.
Labor: having a baby.

No comments: