I subscribe to an online word-of-the-day dictionary that sends me a new word to learn each day. I'm always so excited and proud when I already know the word and its meaning (even if I usually can't spell it). Today's word I didn't know and I can't spell but is it ever cool! It is:
pleonasm \PLEE-uh-naz-uhm\, noun:
1. The use of more words than are necessary to express an idea; as, "I saw it with my own eyes."
2. An instance or example of pleonasm.
3. A superfluous word or expression.
Wow! What a cool word. I talk about wordiness all the time (I am wordy all the time!), but now I'm going to sound so smart warning students about "pleonasm." I love words!
2 comments:
Livvy is cute, beautiful, pretty, lovely, goregous...I feel a little pleonastic today?
Does that work for pleonasm?
You are good!
Post a Comment